Module 4 Investigators

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:22 PM by Honor Moorman

Browse the Learn More: Inquiry resources.

• Identify at least one new idea you plan to implement in your school or classroom community.
  • Describe your idea and your plan for implementation.

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ ideas.

Next, you can level up to Module 4 Discoverer, or jump ahead to Module 5.

3 Replies

Sandra Holshouser
Mar 28, 2021 at 3:21 PM

1. Having the students to ask questions and use problem solving.
  2.  Plan, Have a discussion question on the board and have each student talk about the topic to learn more. I have seen where students work together and learn by associate the answers with something they can relate to. 

Alyson Hilburn
Mar 28, 2021 at 4:59 PM

(Initial Response)

One idea that I could implement into my future classroom lesson is to work with problem-solving and behavior. By doing this, I would allow them to focus on a problem and decide on different ways to solve the issue, while also keeping in mind their own actions and behavior when dealing with the stress that may occur in this process. 

(Reply)

Hi Sandra! I like that you would encourage teamwork in with the problem-solving skills practice. 

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM

I think working on behavior is so essential in the classroom especially at younger ages as some kids do not have this guidance anywhere else. By teaching these behaviors, we can observe what areas they are excelling in and where they need help. 

chase Cameron Benton
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:56 PM

I think implementing expectations of behavior and academic early may have a positive effect on your classroom management

Cortney
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM

(Initial)

I want to apply the idea of pedagogical documentation to my classroom. While I have heard of inquiry-based learning, I have yet to hear about this practice of documentation. When I have my own classroom, I will utilize Google Drive to document each students' learning. Each student will have an individual folder. By the end of the semester, each student will have a portfolio of learning, which we will then add to a larger class folder. Students will be responsible for viewing a few other folders and writing a reflection paper about what they have learned. 

(Reply to Sandra)

Sandra, I think discussion boards, especially in this digital age, are a great idea. Students will be able to learn from another and create that community of learning that is so vital to the classroom.

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:31 AM

I like that you plan to use google drive. I have used from the students perspective and it is very cool to see my work build up and to watch my learning progress. Your students will love it!

Taylor Carroll
Mar 29, 2021 at 7:10 PM

• Identify at least one new idea you plan to implement in your school or classroom community. One thing I will incorporate into my classroom is the use of working through an action before acting upon it. This will allow them to make the decision to know if the outcome will be positive or negative. 
  • Describe your idea and your plan for implementation. I plan to teach this as a lesson at the start of a school year. They will have questions they can ask themselves. 

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:30 AM

Introducing more inquiry activities into my lesson planning will be something I will change. Students need the opportunity to learn for themselves as long as they have the proper background knowledge. Background knowledge can be supplemented by the teacher and the new learning can be done by the student.

Allison Burrage
Mar 19, 2022 at 11:06 PM

- When I am in a classroom I plan to implement inquiry activities into my lesson plans instead of being teacher-based. 

- I plan to have students do more projects. I will allow them to pick what topic they do that way they will actually enjoy completing the project. By picking the topic it allows them to guide what they will be learning through the project. 

Katelyn, I also want to introduce more inquiry activities. I agree students need the opportunity to learn from themselves as long as they have the proper background knowledge. 

Ruth Fallen
Mar 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM

Initial Post: 

One idea I would love to implement in my classroom is using problem solving into almost some area of meaning in each subject that my students are learning. This would entail me making up some problems and having them try to solve the problem and look at the outcomes they come with and see if that was what they thought was going to happen. 

Katelyn,  I like how you want to introduce more inquiry activities to let students learn something new but also activate prior knowledge. 

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:06 PM

I would like to incorporate inquiry activities into my lessons. this will give students the chance to have more free time when it comes to learning I won't just be talking for the whole class period they will get to work together as teams and independently.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:47 PM

• Identify at least one new idea you plan to implement in your school or classroom community.

Allowing students to ask questions and student led discussions.
At the end of each week the students can share what they learned and maybe try to teach a part of that lesson as a refresher.

Will Little
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:14 PM

• Describe your idea and your plan for implementation

I will allow students to challenged themselves by giving them problems above their grade level along with several hints so that they can use their own knowledge and try to teach themselves. I will allow them to work on the problems for a duration of time and when the time is up, explain the problems and what I wanted them to learn out of the activity. 

Daniella Balducci
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:15 AM

I think this is a great idea!

Daniella Balducci
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:15 AM

• I will include activities where students can challenge themselves in the material without it feeling like work.
    • We will do activities like bingo or family feud. The students will play the games but the content will be what is being learned. 

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM

I agree with your response we both had the same kind of thought process

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM

initial post 

Something that I want to have in my classroom is a box for questions and comments. This way, if students have questions and such but don't want to ask, they can put them in the box so they can have freedom with their learning and thoughts about these social issues. 

Paula Almond
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:27 AM

One thing I do is a reflection sheet, when a student has not followed a class rule they write/illustrate what they did then then give options that would have been better  choices and finally state what the rule was that wasn't followed. We then talk about the how the action affected those around them.

Paula,

Thank you for sharing,  I like your plan that you use.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:48 PM

A reflection worksheet is good to show them what they did and how it could have been avoided.

Will Little
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM

A reflection sheet is a good way for students to be aware of the things that they are doing in class. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:42 PM

I would like to have students come up with questions and answer them amongst each other and i will just listen unless I'm needed. As well as I think it would be good for students to come up with a discussion question everyday based on real world problems they have been seeing or hearing about at home. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:43 PM

Reflection sheets are awesome and great for students to take time and understand their actions have consequences and how they could have handled a situation better. 

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:10 PM

I like this idea I feel like the reflection sheets will give you an idea of who has been paying attention and who hasn't. This can help with seeing if the class is ready to move forward as well.

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:14 PM

This a great plan for self reflection. 

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:04 PM

I would like to have my students ask more questions and give them questions and let them solve them. I would like to ask all of my students the same question and let them get into groups and brainstorm and see how each group would answer the question.

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:13 PM

(initial post)

~Students come up with questions and try to find answers on their own with deeper thinking and investigating. 

~Instead of providing questions for the students let them think of questions and find their own solutions.