Module 4 Discoverers

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:24 PM by Honor Moorman

Describe how you implemented one or more new ideas inspired by systems thinking, inquiry, and/or pedagogical documentation in your school or classroom community.

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ descriptions.

Next, move on to Module 5.

3 Replies

Sandra Holshouser
Mar 28, 2021 at 3:24 PM

I would  inspire students to work together to help each other in projects. Example My students are study for an exam and they are working together to find ways to help connect with the answers. 

Alyson Hilburn
Mar 28, 2021 at 5:03 PM

(Initial Response)

Although I am not yet a teacher, in my future classroom I would encourage good behaviors and positive teamwork and feedback. This would help students to learn how to positively, and kindly, work together in problem-solving. 

(Reply)

Hi Sandra! I like that you used the word "inspire" in your post! This helps to lead them in the correct direction but also allows for their own perspectives and voice. 

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:33 AM

the use of feedback is so important so that students know how to give it and receive it. Problem solving involves critiques.

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM

When writing a lesson plan for one of my classes I included an inquiry based lesson d I found it a lot easier to navigate then I thought. I found some interdisciplinary stuff tied in without it being intentional. I have yet to teach it to a class as I am in college but I would love to do it someday!

Ruth Fallen
Mar 20, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Initial Post: 

When I write my lessons, I can make them more inquiry based and provide feedback when students need it or just to provide them.  I am not in a classroom but I would love to actually take action when I get into my own classroom.

Katelyn, I love that you want to include so much into your classroom when you get there. 

Lawson Eudy
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:51 PM

I do not have a classroom yet but I would encourage teamwork and positive actions. An example for teamwork would be having them work on a project and giving each student a job. 

Will Little
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:16 PM

Initial post

When I one day have a classroom, I will encourage students to try to work as a team so that they will best benefit from one another. 

Allison Burrage
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM

Initial Post

When I am in my classroom, I will encourage inquiry-based learning because inquiry allows the student to guide his or her own learning.  An example of this would be having the class help me create a lesson plan that way they come together and have a say in what we do next class.

Will, encouraging students to try to work as a tea so that they will best benefit from one another is a great idea. Teamwork is a very important skill to teach students. 

Daniella Balducci
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:11 AM

I think teamwork is important for team projects and even individual work.

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:16 PM

Hi Lawson, teamwork is highly important, as in the real world they will interact with many people.

Daniella Balducci
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:11 AM

Describe how you implemented one or more new ideas inspired by systems thinking, inquiry, and/or pedagogical documentation in your school or classroom community.

I would implement peer feedback and comments. Students will be allowed to choose an individual and anonymously tell them what they see they are doing good at.

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:57 PM

initial post 

I think collaboration and teamwork are a big must for my classroom as I will have them working with different people for each assignment so they can get ideas from many students, not just their friends. As  with this the teacher needs to make sure they keep students on task and has groups paired well. 

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:58 PM

I love how you use the word inspire, which is so vital to teaching and working in groups. As the teacher should help guide when need is but, also they should ask questions to provoke the correct learning directions in these teams. 

Paula Almond
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:42 AM

Feedback is huge for everyone! In my class my students show support by giving compliments to each other . They can provide 'shouts -outs' - that are read on Fridays, give 'caught being good' high fives  - that are given at the end of the day, and we all give silent celebrations for doing your best! 

Paula,

I do agree feedback is a key to success.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:52 PM

Feedback is very important to helping students grow.

Will Little
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:16 PM

Feedback is a great way to allow students to know what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:45 PM

I will Incorporate teamwork into my classroom by have a section of class layed out for the students to work together maybe a small project or something that will use problems solving skills. They can over real problems and try to find real solutions. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:46 PM

Feedback is very important for students and without it some kids actually feel left out and behind. I believe it can not only build confidence in their classroom abilities but also improve classroom participation as well. 

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:06 PM

Yes i agree i think that the feedback from their peers is much greater than their teachers feedback.

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:11 PM

yes !! I love the idea of feedback this lets your students know that you are taking the time to actually make sure they got the information down.

Amarius Barnes
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:23 PM

Hey Paula,
I think that it is good that your students complement each other in multiple ways and it helps build that safe learning environment that every teacher should be striving for. It is good you have multiple ways for your students to congratulate a fellow peer, we need to have students supporting students as getting compliments from peers can boost that level of confidence in ability. I like the way you have your students do this!

Thanks for reading :)

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:06 PM

I would like my students to work together to help each of them succeed. I would have a test study guide and have them work in groups to complete it.

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:14 PM

I would have a student of the day and this will just be to let my students know that I appreciate them and all the hard work they are doing. when you build this type of relationship with them they will respect you more because they are comfortable with you.

Amarius Barnes
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:35 PM

(Initial Post)

I want to clarify that I am not a teacher yet but I think a good way I could implement pedagogical documentation would be an All-Star portfolio where my students would keep track of things they are proud of, academic improvement, accomplishments, or anything they are proud of. I would have a day called Spotlight Friday where they could share with peers, parents, or another staff member their accomplishments for the week. Over time they would build this up and we would do this every Friday. Importantly it would be for the student and allow them to choose what they want to share and what they want to keep to themselves. It is just one of the ideas that I have, if it works I will continue to use it as an educator if not modifications would be made!

Thanks for reading :)

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:15 PM

(initial post) 

~I think feedback is a great way to motivate students into doing better for their education. Who doesn't love being told nice thinks about small accomplishments. This will help students know their growth and value.