Module 3 Discoverers

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:21 AM by Honor Moorman

Describe how you engaged students in learning about the SDGs in your school or classroom community.

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ descriptions.

Next, move on to Module 4.

2 Replies

Paula Almond
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:30 PM

We discussed how giving back makes a huge difference. It can be simple picking up litter so it didn't harm the animals and continue to grow from there. They loved when we made a recycled scarecrow and wanted to make a garden - so we started a plan.

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:32 AM

I do not have a classroom yet but the water bottles are already being implemented in classrooms they are just missing one step. Actually allowing students to research the most eco friendly bottle would allow them to be involved. Students could write a letter to their principal to explain why this type of water bottle should be purchased. Allowing students to be the leaders is how they will be directly involved in the process.

Will Little
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:38 PM

I agree Katelyn, that students should do research to use reusable, eco friendly bottles.

Ruth Fallen
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:58 PM

Initial Post: I do not have a classroom yet but bottle art is kind of implemented, but I feel that they are missing a step in reusing those bottle caps that are not used or allowing for full creativity on the student’s behalf. Allowing students to research ideas to create their own can help generate new ideas they may have not thought of before. I also think that the students should write to the administration and allow them to see why they should recycle their own bottle caps and how they could use them for something good and not let them be wasted.

Katelyn, I love your idea with the water bottles. I also like how you are going to have the students explain why the school should buy a certain water bottle. 

Lawson Eudy
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Describe how you engaged students in learning about the SDGs in your school or classroom community.

I do not have a classroom yet but recycling in fun ways and helping students understand what it means would be the way I engage students within this topic. 

Will Little
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:37 PM

Initial post

When I have a classroom one day I will strive to create fun ways for students to earn money for world hunger and also allow them to create their own compost pile to advocate for this issue of food waste. 

Daniella Balducci
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:17 PM

Recycling is important for students to learn at a young age to help get them in the habit for later on. They can start saving the world now and in the future.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM

A recycling scarecrow sounds like fun to make and I agree that giving back even the smallest can make a huge difference.

Allison Burrage
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:28 PM

-  Describe how you engaged students in learning about the SDGs in your school or classroom community.

Answer: I do not have a classroom yet but when I do I will create fun activities for students to make the world a better place such as recycling activities. I would have my students go on a recycling scavenger hunt where they would go race to see who can collect the most recyclable things. 

Lawson, I think finding ways to recycle in fun ways is a great idea. Even students at a young age can help make the world a better place. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:33 PM

I think teaching recycling would be really great and especially in the area i am from I have never even seen someone recycle so its not something kids learn until they come into adulthood like i do and learn the hard way what the different colored baskets are. 

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:18 PM

I agree with you and think that it is so powerful

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM

I agree I think that is a good idea !!

Maddy Howard
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:31 PM

I have never heard of this but it sounds fun. I will have to think about it come my time to teach.

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:32 PM

I believe a long project through out the year where they record the use of their water comsuption in their water bottle and at the end of the year we all get together and go through our work to see how many plastic bottles of water have been saved from the landfills and then do a short lesson on plastic waste. I beleive not only would thei help the enviroment but also lead to students wanting to make a difference. 

Daniella Balducci
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:16 PM

Students need to be able to see how they can impact the wordl through anything they do. The do not have to be a MLK or other figures of that sort to change the world but they can be who they are and change those around them.

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:20 PM

something I would add into my classroom is would create a wheel and put different things on how we can make an impact on the community and do something new every week.

Maddy Howard
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:31 PM

I think a great way is by showing examples or videos and completing a mini-lesson or dispersing lessons throughout the year,

Makayla Marie Eastman
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:35 AM

I do not have a classroom but the idea of students making up ideas to help a community and then doing a random draw once a week to try to do them would allows students to maybe see a difference they are making and actually encourage volunteering. 

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:45 PM

I love how you not only said that this impacts humans but the environment and animals. As this might spark some areas of interest for student so they can pursue this outside of the classroom. 

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:46 PM

initial post 

A way to engage students is by showing them an issue in there town or community. This is a way for them to connect to these issues but then see that it happens around them and hopefully spark the want to learn more or help. 

Morgan Shrader
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:34 PM

I think this is definitely difficult in a high school math setting. However, I'm thinking about a specific word problem where someone is paying their electric bill and the first scenario is them not having solar panels and just paying regular with no expense of adding solar panels to their home. The second scenario is with paying the expense of solar panels, but now their electric bill goes down, so they have to figure out how many years until they will save money when buying solar panels. I think this is a great problem for students to both think about the future with bills while also encouraging them to have sustainable energy sources that could benefit them and the environment in the future. 

Reply:

Allison,

I love the idea of a recycle project to teach about sustainability and allow students to get creative at the same time.

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:18 PM

I would like to show them how much they can impact the community. Such as making a garden with fresh fruit and vegetables, or planting new fruit trees.

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:31 PM

(Initial Post)

I want children to understand it takes 1 to create great change, simply by recycling in the classroom creates impact, any paper not used in class should be recycled so it can be reused and not go to waste that way less trees are cut down. 

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM

Hi Brooklyn that is a great way for students to become engaged by planting their own fruits or vegetable to create positive change for the earth.