Module 6 Explorers

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM by Honor Moorman

Reflect on your learning from Module 6 and respond to the following questions:

• What are the most significant things you can do as an educator to promote empathy, creativity, and/or collaboration?
  • What strategies do you plan to use to support student collaboration empathy, creativity, and collaboration as they engage in their social innovation projects?

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ reflections.

Next, you can level up to Module 6 Investigator, or jump ahead to Module 7.

2 Replies

Kendall Mauldin
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:25 PM

1. I think one of the most important things I can do as an educator is encourage students to think of others. I can tell stories, show videos, and have students tell me what they think those people feel in that moment. I think it is also important for me to encourage group work so students can understand what challenges their peers may be facing. 

2. I will be using the strategy of encouraging students to engage with their peers and ask questions about challenges their peers may have faced in their lives. 

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:54 PM

(Initial Post) 

1. I think one of the most important things I can do as an educator to promote those things is to model it inside and outside of my classroom. Once students see an adult whom they may trust modeling these skills it is more likely they will follow as suit. 
  2. One strategies is mentioned above is modeling. I will also encourage/support them. I will also used inquiry based and/or student-centered classrooms for students to become comfortable within the classroom to establish these skills. 

Paula Almond
Apr 3, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Hi Kathryn,

Modeling is so important! Along with support and encouragement - you are on the right track!

Stephanie R Juarez
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:55 PM

Hey Kathryn! I also agree that modeling creativity, empathy, and collaboration will encourage kids to emulate these traits. In the classroom, a teacher serves as a role model, and students observe their actions.

chase Cameron Benton
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:04 PM

I think that is a great idea by having kids collaborate with others to help them think of others and get an understanding of what it's like in other shoes. This can help students become more grateful for what they have and can shed light on others that may need extra help.

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:56 PM

(Reply)

I love the idea of showing videos and telling stories. When students hear these, they can come connected/moved emotionally and then be able to establish ways to show these skills. 

Stephanie R Juarez
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:07 PM

(Initial Post)

I believe that challenging stereotypes and discovering commonalities are the most important things I can do as an educator to encourage empathy, creativity, and collaboration. I might be able to provide them firsthand experience of other people's life. I'd also encourage pupils to listen and open up to others. These things can be accomplished by establishing a secure environment. In order to enhance students' teamwork, empathy, and creativity while they work on their social innovation projects, I want to teach qualities linked with good citizenship. I'll also expose them to a variety of viewpoints and integrate the curriculum to real-life volunteer opportunities.

Branson
Mar 28, 2022 at 11:41 PM

I think that opening students' eyes to see different sides of a story or issue is an important thing to do as a educator to encourage empathy, creativity, and collaboration. 

Some strategies I might use to encourage empathy, creativity, and collaboration is maybe by splitting students into groups and having them read different ways that an issue effected different people in different ways then have them come back and present how the issue effected the people or person they read about.  

Morgan Shrader
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:40 PM

• What are the most significant things you can do as an educator to promote empathy, creativity, and/or collaboration?
    • I think creating a comfortable environment that is open for questions and a judgment free zone is the best way for students to feel comfortable speaking out and asking questions.
  • What strategies do you plan to use to support student collaboration empathy, creativity, and collaboration as they engage in their social innovation projects?
    • I want to reiterate constantly that my classroom is a safe space. I also want to have an open door policy for students to be able to come to me and talk to me about anything that might be going on in their lives.

Paula Almond
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:06 PM

Promote empathy, creativity and collaboration:

• ask more questions
  • actively listen
  • assuming a curious mindset
  • build on others' ideas
  • then work to encourage the above with students and peers

Strategies to support students:

• promote empathy as classroom culture
  • use PBL

* The key to inspire social innovation and do away with judgments against others is empathy.  When we use these two skills together  our students can engage in positive collaboration and deeper learning.