Module 3 Explorers

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM by Honor Moorman

Reflect on your learning from Module 3 and respond to the following questions:

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling?
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ reflections.

Next, you can level up to Module 3 Investigator, or jump ahead to Module 4.

9 Replies

Carolyn Brown
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM

1. Compelling problems to me are those that cascade into a multitude of negative outcomes.  
  2. My students are most concerned about justice (16), animals (14 & 15), and climate change (13).  Because I'm an English teacher, it's easy to incorporate these topics into my curriculum; I just curate a variety of reading materials on the topics and use those materials to teach literacy skills.
  3. I'm inspired (but also a little intimidated by) the openness of so many of these projects.  Students get to choose how they will address the issues around them.

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM

(Initial Post) 

1. I believe what makes a social issue or problem compelling is when it affects you as a person. When that person understands and goes through the trauma and emotions is when it becomes the most compelling. 
  2. I believe my future students will be most concerned about aspects that appeal to them, like getting treated fairly or receiving the same consequences for the same action as someone else. This could be taught as a mini lesson that everyone is equal and needs to be treated the same. 
  3. I was inspired by the broad subjects that other participants provided. It gave me inspiration that I can incorporate a variety of these projects within my own project to get students more engaged and have a voice and choice in social innovation. 

Maddy Howard
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:25 PM

I agree that students are going to want to participate in a project if it relates to them. As teachers we should plan for thus and find a fit that relates to our students.

chase Cameron Benton
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:51 PM

I agree that the students should always be learning life lessons and that better they learn them in a safe environment rather than later in life and in the real world.

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:35 PM

(Reply) 

Hello Carolyn! I agree with your intimidation on the openness of the projects. I also love the differences in ages and what they are most concerned about. It shows what is most compelling to the individual. 

Emily King
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:20 PM

(Initial Post) 

1. What make a social problem compelling is that the problem is real life and a solution could potentially solve a problem in society. 
  2. I believe that problems that my future classroom might want to solve would be problems in their own lives or problems they have around them. 
  3. i am inspired by the wideness of the opportunities these projects can give a student to learn. 

Emily Jackson
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:15 AM

Emily,  I see how you truly care and will give the effort to help and teach your students.  Instead of ignoring problems we should focus on them to end or make the problems smaller.

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM

I agree with your post

Jordyn
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:49 AM

• Hey Emily, I agree with you that making small changes lead to a major change in the world. Being open minded and aware of the world around you is key.

Emily King
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Hey Carolyn! I agree the the openness of these projects almost seem endless. Also a little frightening but i think the path the student takes will be about what they find more compelling. 

Emily Jackson
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:14 AM

• It is compelling because it is a bad thing that man people do. The more people do things the more it will be considered okay. Making it harder to change or improve it.
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum? It may include problems that my students are dealing with or are concerned with. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?
  • I will provide my students with negative scenarios that happen in the real world and let them find a solution for them.

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ reflections.

Taylor Carroll
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:58 PM

When a student may be dealing with the particular issue, I also believe that this puts them in a real- life scenario. 

Jacob Miller
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:04 PM

Initial post

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling?  A social issue or problem is compelling is if it continues and nothing is done about it.  Once a problem happens it is known to be compelling if others take notice of the issue and do nothing about it. 
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students?   Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?   I think that the most compelling issues or SDGs will be the most compelling can not be named yet.  I think that once I have my own students and see what their issues are I will be able to tell more about this topic.  

Branson
Mar 28, 2022 at 11:20 PM

In my opinion a social issue or problem is compelling when people start to believe that it is ok and not a big deal.

I think that some issues that may be compelling for students and that I could integrate into the curriculum will probably be the issue of cancel culture because it is a very modern issue that involves the internet and can affect the way you may look at someone.

The examples of how social innovation can be used in the classroom were very interesting and I think that I will be able to use these examples to work into my curriculum once I become an educator to talk about different issues 

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:40 PM

I like how you included the Internet, as it is so big now that it is not going away. With this, students and teachers should be aware of this tool and its dangers. I also like how you stressed that these issues become more significant when it is a big deal. 

Elizabeth Jones
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:55 PM

I agree with you. Another thing is when people don't care about a situation because it is not directly affecting them. 

Alyson Hilburn
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:48 PM

(Initial Post)

1. What makes a social issue or problem compelling?
    1. Social issues and problems are compelling because it helps with learning opportunities with problem-solving skills. 
  2. Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?
    1. Issues and problems that my future students may have to deal with, which would be compelling to them, would be home life. I could integrate the knowledge of different life problems that these students may be witnessing at home. 
  3. What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?
    1. I am inspired by the learning opportunities that these examples obtain. I could incorporate examples into my own classroom by integrated real-life problems that they may experience throughout their lives. 

(Response)

1. Hi Carolyn! I agree that the openness of the examples given could be seen as inspiring, but also intimidating. 

Cortney
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:44 PM

(Initial Post)

A social issue or problem becomes compelling when it either directly affects you or when you become emotionally invested in the problem at hand. I anticipate my students to be most concerned with health and well-being, gender equality, reduced inequality, and climate action. All of these are very hot topics right now, and while we are working towards solutions, I believe these will still be issues for quite some years. I could easily incorporate all of these issues into my curriculum. Since I will be teaching English, it will not be hard for me to choose texts that cover the state standards (grammar, genre, theme, etc.) and social issues. The example projects gave me the concrete evidence that becoming socially innovative in the classroom is possible. I definitely foresee an inclusion of these issues in my future classroom. I will have to work out the details once I become an educator, but I can already see how I can cover some of these issues in my classroom. 

Cortney
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Hi, Alyson! I think home life is definitely an issue that may be compelling for our students. It will directly appeal to the students who are experiencing trouble in their home life, and it will appeal to other students because they know this issue affects their fellow peers. I think discussing home life and some of the issues children face  will foster more of an uplifting community among our students as they come to understand peers' struggles.

Katie
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Alyson, I love the idea of incorporating real-life scenarios into your classroom to help your students with their own issues they may be facing. While some subjects may be "sensitive", finding a way to allow your students to discuss personal issues is very important!

Allie Perdue
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:42 AM

Hey Alyson, I like the idea of incorporating what students might be experiencing at home into what you mention about SDGs. 

Taylor Carroll
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:57 PM

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling? When they affect a given person or group of people they seem to be more compelling. 
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum? Problems that students may be concerned with such as being treated fairly by their peers. Things that involve them will be more compelling to them. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation? I will incorporate real-life issues that my students may face at their given age group. This will allow for a discussion that will help them find solutions that they may need to use one day.

1. Something is  compelling because it has a negative effect and can be changed to a positive affect by problem solving. 

2. The SDG that could be the most compelling to my students is how they treat others and how others are treating them. I could integrate this into my classroom by teaching my students to have respect for one another. 

3.  I am inspired by teaching SDG's. This inspires me because I think that this is important for students to be taught. I can incorporate the SDG'S into my lessons. 

(Reply)

Hello, Alyson I like how you talked about incorporating the real life examples for your students. I think that it is important to help your students with what ever they are going through.  

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:20 AM

• The why behind it makes it what it is. The idea that it can change something if solved the emotion behind the problem or issue.
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?
  • Definitely issues regarding nature. Anything that gets the students outside as being inside the classroom all day is a common topic. Also the goals of no poverty or hunger would be interesting in my district as many students live in poverty so they would have an emotional connection too it. Poverty could easily be integrated in through reading about possible solutions and inclusion of this in that bracket.
  • I drew that the projects do not have to be extremely hard and can center around almost anything. I wanted to look into introducing the water bottle project where maybe students can do research into the most environmental friendly water bottles.

Allie Perdue
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:40 AM

1. I think a social issue or problem is made compelling when it has the relatability factor. If there is something that we can relate to, then we will find it compelling. Also if you can tell that the people who are the primary faces of the issue really care about it. If they don't really seem to care, then why would we? 
  2. Issues involving things that they experience in their day-to-day life would be the most compelling for the students. These could be a wide range of issues. 
  3. I found that the projects don't have to necessarily be explicitly about social innovation, but instead can be about other things and mention social innovation. This way, you are still teaching the students about it without it being all that you are mentioning. This inspired me because I am going into higher grades and I know that middle and high schoolers get fed up if you talk about things like this for too long, so briefly mentioning it in another lesson would be better than a lesson explicitly about it sometimes. 

Ruth Fallen
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:18 PM

1. 1. What makes a social issue or problem compelling?

The problems and social issues are compelling because there is learning and promotes opportunities with skills such as problem solving.

1. 2. Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?

Issues regarding nature for sure and how my students treat others and treating themselves.  I could integrate this into my classroom by having them display respect and kindness to each other. I can also talk about nature in my class when it comes to science because it can get them out of the classroom.  

1. 3. How will you help students identify and explore a compelling social issue or problem they want to address in their local or global community? What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?

What I gathered was that the projects that I assigned do not have to be super hard for the students who are completing them and do not have to be a specific area, but surround different concepts together. I really want to introduce bottle art with recycled bottle caps. (Initial Post) 

Katelyn, I love how you wanted to get your kids out of the classroom and how it can help get them a new version of education. 

Katelyn Barfield
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:23 PM

Katelyn, 

I really enjoyed your idea at the end for water bottle project! I read about a project called Plastic Poison that had students look into how plastic impacts the environment and how much plastic they had been using in their school and ways they could do better. I think this is a great idea and one I hope to dow with my students one day!

Daniella Balducci
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:24 PM

Making projects that are easy for children to understand and do will make it more compelling for them to engage with.

Katelyn Sifford
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:22 AM

I agree that problems that have many negative outcomes are very compelling. I do believe that each of the SDGs has led to so many new problems as they continue to exist in some places. These goals can lead students into a conversation about culture and beliefs as they must realize that some of the freedoms that They have here don’t exist somewhere else.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:34 AM

When something is bad but can be changed in a positive way.
Issues that students will face in life which can be many things and a way to help could be talking to them and finding ways to help them understand. 
It is inspiring because of how a student can help make a difference and the wide variety of projects.

Will Little
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:32 PM

Initial post

1. I find social issues compelling when they are advocating for something that I find to be important. 
  2. Students are more likely to be interested in social issues that relate to their families, communities, or even themselves. 
  3. I was inspired by the many projects that are established even though some are small, they all make a large impact. I will take projects that I find important and continue them in my classroom. 

Allison Burrage
Mar 17, 2022 at 9:10 PM

1) A social issue or problem is compelling when it is something relatable or when someone is standing up for something I find extremely important. 

2) Students are more likely to be interested in social issues that they relate to.

3)  It inspired me to start teaching the children at a young age that they can make a difference that it doesn't matter how big or small the project is, just like the crayon project. Small project but it is helping low-income schools in need. 

Will, I agree that students are more likely to be interested in social issues that they relate to. 

Katelyn Barfield
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:20 PM

• A social issue can become compelling when a student or person in general is pushing for change in an area they feel strongly about. It is important to encourage them to voice their concerns and to lead and make a change where they see one needs to be made. 
  • I think if it is a issue that they can personally relate to or something they have dealt with personally it is going to be something that they will feel strongly about and want to do what they can to make a change. 
  • I really liked the one I found called Plastic Poison which was about how plastic can harm our environment in particular the sea animals. A group of 3rd and 6th graders came up with the idea to change to paper rather than plastic and even got their communities to change to paper as well. I also liked the one where students melted down old crayons and made new ones to send to a school of less fortunate students. I think this would be a great activity to do for students and also have them send them letters about how they hope they like the crayons. 

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:23 PM

• If a problem results in multiple negative outcomes than it is considered a compelling problem whether it be in a small group or affecting a big group of individuals. 
  • I believe we could pick out some compelling issues whether they be worldly issues or small issues that students pick out themselves. I think it would be nice to go through those issues and pick out ways we as a class or individually could make a difference. 
  • I found inspiration in a version where students created artwork based off of their political issues they looked at and I feel like using that in class you could really see how a student's feels about the topic. 

Daniella Balducci
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:22 PM

• When it affects oneself that is when a social issue or problem becomes compelling.
    • The local issues that will be compelling to my students will be equality. Equality can be easily taught and incorporated into my classroom.
    • I got inspired by the projects that included not just the classroom but the community. I will have my students create the project but make sure they mold it to how it can include the entire school community.

Stephanie R Juarez
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM

Hey Daniella!  I agree that social issues are more compelling when you are directly affected by them. I also believe that students will find equality intriguing because they desire equality both inside and outside the classroom. This would be a great addition to a history or math lesson.

Stephanie R Juarez
Mar 27, 2022 at 4:11 PM

Initial Post

A social problem is any condition or behavior that has negative consequences for large numbers of people and that is generally recognized as a condition or behavior that needs to be addressed. This definition has both an objective component and a subjective component. The issue I would anticipate to be the most compelling for my students would be climate change. I could easily integrate this into one of my science standards and talk about what they can do at home that can converse every. I will help students identify and explore a compelling social issue or problem they want to address in their local or global community by allowing them to research and offer them materials. The inspiration I drew from the example projects developed by the previous participant in this course is that many ideas can help students by showing them that they can make a change. I will apply some of those ideas as my design in my project and engage students by showing them that their actions have power. 

Emma Bullin
Mar 27, 2022 at 7:31 PM

Initial post

• A social issue or problem becomes compelling when affects you or the people surrounding you. 
  • Students are more likely to be interested in social issues that affect them or their families because if it does not directly impact their life they won't fully grasp it. 
  • It inspired me to incorporate into my lessons that it doesn't matter your age you can make a difference. The crayon project was a wonderful example of something that may seem small but helps other students out.

Allison, I agree that the crayon project is a really good example of how to show students that any project big or small can help. It also shows them that it doesn't matter how old you are.

Skylar Price
Mar 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM

I agree that students will be more interested in social issues that directly affect them or their family. 

Rmondrah Singeton
May 4, 2022 at 11:39 PM

Initial Post

• When it affects most people and future generations to come.
    • The local issues that will be compelling to my students will be equality. Equality can be easily taught and incorporated into my classroom because everyone will be treated fairly.
    • I got inspired by the projects that had a large impact on others and involved the community. I will have my students create the project, so they have a say in their learning. 

Jahmik Bell
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:58 PM

(Initial Post) 

What makes a social issue or problem compelling is when the things are being repeated and no one is doing anything to put a stop to it or even make a change. I believe the local issues that will be compelling to the students are the issues that they feel most connected with. The way I will deal with this in my curriculum is by having resources for the students. Looking at all the projects have shown great inspirations. As I prepare to start my own project I would like at the other projects for guidance I would than write my own project with the input of the students ideas.

Maddy Howard
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:23 PM

If it directly affects a person or person they know.

Pollution issues always seem to interest most as they want to see a clean world. I think recycling projects are great ways to participate in social innovation and change.

I really liked the paper-saving project. It is easy enough to do and for students to understand and participate in.

Cassie Barnes
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM

Initial Post

• For me a social issue or problem becomes compelling when it severely impacts me or those, I find important. I know this may sound bad but personal connections often drive our emotions. Other times it can be the leader the movement that draws your attention to the overall issue. You would think if someone has that much to say about it then it must be worth understanding.

• I think big issues that they see in their daily lives like homelessness, poverty, overpopulations, and recycling will be the most compelling to them. I think recycling would be the easiest to integrate into an art class because there are artists who already do this for a living. 

• How will you help students identify and explore a compelling social issue or problem they want to address in their local or global community?
    • Since I will be teaching visual arts physically creating pieces will be the mode in which they express their ideas. I will create an activity in which they chose a major issue that interests them and create a piece that explains something about it but also how they view it.

• I found that these projects do not need to be difficult they can be extremely easy it is all about execution. I think finding unique ways to apply simple ideas will help with student engagement. If you go into an assignment with an average activity you are going to get the average response from students.

Cassie Barnes
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM

I think it is great that you take your students interests into consideration and then tailor your lesson plans to fits those materials. Many teachers teach the same content over and over again without thinking about how interests impact engagement and understanding because it is seen as easier.

Makayla Marie Eastman
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:30 AM

1- I think social issues are something every needs to be aware of, considering how anxiety has sky rocketed since Covid 19 that is a social issue. People can not be in groups as they have panic attacks and I know numerous people who dropped out of school to avoid crowds. 

2-Some local issues that I believe I could use to compel students when be equality as there are so many things tearing people apart like religion, skin tone, culture and so many more. I hope to show my students that you should be nice and respect everyone you meet without discrimination. 

3-I believe listening to my students ideas will be where to start and understand what issues they want to change. However I will have to explain that even though they see other people not changing does not mean that they did not impact someone else somewhere else. Allowing for them to believe that the actions they are doing do make a difference.

Madison Halsey
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:38 PM

inital post 

A social issue is compelling when it affects the lives of most people in a group as this is something that is causing issues and should be fixed. 

An issue that will be harder for students to understand is gender identity, as this is new to even some adults. This can be added to the curriculum by using writing and videos that do show people that are trans or nonbinary. 

I liked the idea of field trips to educate students because there is no better way to teach these issues than for the students to experience them in the real world. 

Haley McManus
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:55 PM

Field trips are a great idea for students to be more aware of the problems in their community!

Ashley Tucker
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM

Students are engaged in change we just have to open the doors. Great post.

Haley McManus
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:54 PM

If they are directly impacting or evident to the passions of an individual, I believe that makes it compelling.

I think that local areas of poverty would be compelling to my students. They can be creative in coming up with ways to help solve problems, which can be a class effort. 

• How will you help students identify and explore a compelling social issue or problem they want to address in their local or global community?

I will provide them with many options, keeping them up to date in what is going on in our community (with parent permission of course) and they can work in groups to brainstorm potential solutions.

I found it very interesting that many things can be reused and recycled for a better cause. One example that I saw was when people melt down used crayons into molds and create new crayons for students who may not have access or the ability to purchase coloring utensils.

Sarah Coble
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:11 PM

Haley, 

I love the idea of making new crayons from old ones. You could make new colors by doing so. This lets students be creative while recycling!

Taylor
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:06 PM

(Initial post) 

I find social issues compelling when they affect something I am interested in or have feelings towards.

I believe what students will find most compelling will be diversity and how it is "socially defined" in today's world compared to years ago. Everyone wants to be equal but everyone wants diversity, so it is difficult to find a balance.

I think the best inspiration from the projects were field trips. You can take a trip to really anywhere and turn it into a learning experience for all ages. This is the best way to get the children involved because they get to experience the world outside of school but still learn

Sandra Holshouser
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM

1. Someone that is different and others look at that person. That don't understand what they are going though.
  2. problems in their own life and not what's going on around them.
  3. I'm inspired at how each student can make a choice and make a differences.

Katie
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM

• I personally find social issues compelling when they affect me or something I am interested in or care about.
  • Students find issues compelling when they relate to them or are experiencing them. I could offer indirect ways to express feelings and discuss personal issues in my classroom.
  • I was inspired by the wide variety of subjects and the opportunities that so many projects offer and could be incorporated into the classroom.

Katie

I do agree with you when it came to social issues.

Lawson Eudy
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:35 AM

When students can relate to issues it makes it easier to help them understand.

Paula Almond
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:16 PM

Makes Social Issue/Problem Compelling:

• the way it makes people feel or react - understanding the raw emotions 

Issues that might be most compelling for my students:

• I think the effects of COVID 19 - my students have started their educational journey in Kindergarten, wearing mask, with social distancing, temp. checks - they have made statements of wanting a time to be able to play with friends with no mask and have sleepovers. At 5 years olds, this issue will stay with them.
  • There are several aspects of this issue that can be integrated into our curriculum, I do so daily.

Inspiration from other participants:

• I'm inspired by my students having a voice

Kendall Mauldin
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:06 PM

I didn't even consider Covid-19 as a social issue! I think that is one that will really be able to help students relate. It has effected all students in one way or another and some larger than others but it's something they can all realte too. 

Paula Almond
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:02 PM

Hi Kendall,

COVID has affected all students, I realize daily with my Kindergarten class all they know is mask and social distant - that's so sad.

Shelby
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:24 PM

I enjoy your point about COVID because I'm sure these kids feel like it's taken over their lives and changed everything so I think that would be a great place to start. 

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:25 PM

I agree and bringing up covid as an example was good as it was a huge social issue that affected many parts of student's lives. 

Kendall Mauldin
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM

1. Compelling problems are ones that effect a multitude of of people and have many levels of negative outcomes. 

2. I think climate change, and poverty are going to be the issues that effect my students the most. These issues can and likely somehow do effect every student in my classroom. I can incorporate them by having students write about how they will make change or by helping them to create a project that will help the community such as a fundraiser. 

3. One inspiration I found was the inspiration to teach students about a social issue and then use what they've learned to create art work.  

Victoria Abernathy
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:58 PM

(Not a reply to the comment above)

•  I think what makes a social issue compelling is that even small issues have such a high demand for change. 
  • Some compelling issues that I can integrate in my curriculum is a lack of supplies and resources in the community. My students could hold a community supply drive that they then donate to those in need. 
  • I will help my students by asking them to research an issue that they face daily and then present it to the class. I would then have them vote on the MOST compelling of all of the presentations and we as a class would take action on that issue. 
  • From the examples, I noticed that even small changes can make a difference. I would apply this as inspiration for my own students to help empower them to make change in their community. This would come before the presentation and research project listed above. 

Victoria Abernathy
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:00 PM

Kendall, I absolutely agree that poverty and climate change can impact students the most. As a student that faced poverty until early adulthood, I can attest that it definitely made a difference in my experience in school. 

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:30 PM

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling? issues being recognized by the world and making it clear that its a problem that needs to get fixed 
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum? hold a food drive which will help them understand that not everyone has what you have at home
  • How will you help students identify and explore a compelling social issue or problem they want to address in their local or global community? by researching and learning about issues that are going on today and being more aware of the things you don't hear or see on the daily. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your project and engage students in social innovation? we will talk about how all change is good no matter how big or small it is .its about taking the time to think about others and I will show that in my classroom if someone needs something be prepared and have it ready for them.

dymond haith
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:31 PM

I agree I think this was a great post . I like how you talked about how small issues have a high Demond for change . 

Airen Bosher
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:47 PM

initial

A social issue only becomes compelling based on that person or group's beliefs or opinions. It mostly has to pull at heartstrings or have a persuasive case for people to start caring about it. 

For my students, the most compelling will be about animals and climate change. This is something that they can understand easily and see cute animals that might be their favorite. I also feel like that can be easy to integrate because science deals significantly with it. 

I saw how simple it could be to create a project that students will love and hopefully want to be involved more in. With social issues, hands-on approach projects will be the most engaging for my students. 

Brooklyn Arrowood
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM

1. I believe a social issue or problem is when it affects you as a person or your students. When that person understands and goes through the trauma and emotions is when it becomes the most compelling. 
  2. some of the problems that may occur in my classroom can be something that is going on in their personal lives. 
  3. I will allow the students to choose how they will address the issue

Amarius Barnes
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:28 PM

(Initial Post)

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling in my opinion is how it can affect you either directly or indirectly. It causes you to pay attention to it more because it sits in the back of your mind to make you want to investigate it even more. When it can be an issue for multiple amounts of people, and it needs to be fixed it can also become compelling as well. 
  • I think speaking up and saving a friend would be the most compelling for students because they tie into each other, but they are completely different issues of the world. Students will learn to speak up against unfair treatments and they will also learn to become better members of society as well. Saving a friend is another because students need to understand that you should be kind to people and check up on the people you love. After all, you never know what big emotions they may be feeling. I think these two topics could be easily integrated into the curriculum because stories can be told from victims' perspectives, and it can let you into the mind of what a person may feel if they were on the receiving end of these behaviors. It doesn't take much to integrate these with our current curriculum if you do it smartly. 
  • I would have students look into their local communities and look for things they see a problem with or what they feel could be an issue, I would then allow them to provide examples of what they are describing, and some solutions to these issues. I would have students make connections with global issues as well to see how they correlate with what they see in their daily lives as well. I would have them make a solution to fix these issues on a global level. I think it shows students that we can attack problems at a smaller approach and then attack them at a larger approach. I am all about connections so if they can relate social issues locally then they could globally which leads to them wanting to fix it because I think it increases that empathy towards these issues. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your project and engage students in social innovation?
  • I drew a lot of inspiration because I feel these projects are something that all students should participate in and learn about to make them better people overall. I didn't have the chance to talk about these topics or participate in these topics in school but if I did it would have made me an overall better person. It makes me want to implement these ways into my classroom which creative lessons so that students can understand positive behaviors. I think it is so many ways to design projects and ideas from these topics, but I would need to sit down and think about it thoroughly. One idea that rings in my head are about telling someone something positive, lending a helping hand to someone who needs it, and doing something nice for someone. A help a friend project would be a perfect idea where you go make a friend with someone and y'all do something positive together. I feel like it would need to be something super influential and creative to make it stick with students. 

Amarius Barnes
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:39 PM

(Response to Brooklyn)

I like the way you defined what you think when a social issue becomes compelling, I think that is a wonderful way of looking at it. A real problem that students could face would be something in their personal lives as well, it would be them speaking from experience and their perspective. I like that thought as well, I think it is an amazing way of integrating these topics into the curriculum of the classroom. I also said I think with choosing these topics students should be allowed to choose because things like this should be centered around student voice and choice as we have discussed in previous modules. I loved reading your discussion board and hearing your ideas!

Thanks for reading :)

Airen Bosher
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM

Hey, Brooklyn 

I agree with how you decided to explain when a social issue becomes important to someone's life. I also agree that if a student might be going through that issue, it may become more compelling with it. 

Ashley Tucker
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:09 PM

A social issue becomes compelling when it has a negative impact on you or your community. 

I think in our society Justice is a subject that students want to focus on. Writing is a fun way to incorporate into the curriculum. 

I am inspired by the fact that my lessons could help inspire my students to want to make an impact on the world.

Diana
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:24 PM

(Initial Response)

• A social issue is when a problem impacts many people at the same time negatively.
  • I think poverty and the well being of students, this could be incorporated by talking about how to help those in need and understanding to take things slowly and at the pace needed per person not by how everyone is doing. 
  • I would go over what truly makes something a problem then doing thorough research and coming up with solutions to fix the issue. 
  • Projects provided help students become better people in society and not thinking selfishly but trying to be a change in society for the better.

Sarah Coble
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:09 PM

Initial Post

I find a problem compelling; when it hits close to home or I'm interested in the topic it covers.

Being I do not know my students, I'm not entirely sure. I do feel they would be compelled by life below water, life on land, and no poverty.

I plan to show my students a daily news show. Through this social issues will be shown but I will also introduce them to more than what we would see in a new cast. I want my students to find one social issue and write a current event on it twice a month.

I found saving paper and using a live binder to be interesting. I would incorporate this into my classroom.

Jordyn
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:48 AM

Social issues or problems are compelling differently for each person. Everyone has something that they are extremely passionate about, causing them to feel like changes need to be made in the world. One local issue that I feel may be most compelling for my future students is pollution. Personally, pollution irritates me as we are supposed to respect our planet, and pollution only gets worse as time goes on. The project that stuck out to me the most was the Plastic Poison Project as it changed something negative into a positive. I will integrate this project into my class as it is a fun way to make a small change in the world.