Module 3 Explorers

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM by Honor Moorman

Reflect on your learning from Module 3 and respond to the following questions:

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling?
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ reflections.

Next, you can level up to Module 3 Investigator, or jump ahead to Module 4.

5 Replies

Carolyn Brown
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM

1. Compelling problems to me are those that cascade into a multitude of negative outcomes.  
  2. My students are most concerned about justice (16), animals (14 & 15), and climate change (13).  Because I'm an English teacher, it's easy to incorporate these topics into my curriculum; I just curate a variety of reading materials on the topics and use those materials to teach literacy skills.
  3. I'm inspired (but also a little intimidated by) the openness of so many of these projects.  Students get to choose how they will address the issues around them.

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM

(Initial Post) 

1. I believe what makes a social issue or problem compelling is when it affects you as a person. When that person understands and goes through the trauma and emotions is when it becomes the most compelling. 
  2. I believe my future students will be most concerned about aspects that appeal to them, like getting treated fairly or receiving the same consequences for the same action as someone else. This could be taught as a mini lesson that everyone is equal and needs to be treated the same. 
  3. I was inspired by the broad subjects that other participants provided. It gave me inspiration that I can incorporate a variety of these projects within my own project to get students more engaged and have a voice and choice in social innovation. 

Kathryn Guyette
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:35 PM

(Reply) 

Hello Carolyn! I agree with your intimidation on the openness of the projects. I also love the differences in ages and what they are most concerned about. It shows what is most compelling to the individual. 

Emily King
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:20 PM

(Initial Post) 

1. What make a social problem compelling is that the problem is real life and a solution could potentially solve a problem in society. 
  2. I believe that problems that my future classroom might want to solve would be problems in their own lives or problems they have around them. 
  3. i am inspired by the wideness of the opportunities these projects can give a student to learn. 

Emily Jackson
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:15 AM

Emily,  I see how you truly care and will give the effort to help and teach your students.  Instead of ignoring problems we should focus on them to end or make the problems smaller.

Emily King
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Hey Carolyn! I agree the the openness of these projects almost seem endless. Also a little frightening but i think the path the student takes will be about what they find more compelling. 

Emily Jackson
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:14 AM

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling?
  • It is compelling because it is a bad thing that man people do. The more people do things the more it will be considered okay. Making it harder to change or improve it.
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum? It may include problems that my students are dealing with or are concerned with. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?
  • I will provide my students with negative scenarios that happen in the real world and let them find a solution for them.

Please read and respond to at least 1 of your colleagues’ reflections.

Taylor Carroll
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:58 PM

When a student may be dealing with the particular issue, I also believe that this puts them in a real- life scenario. 

Alyson Hilburn
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:48 PM

(Initial Post)

1. What makes a social issue or problem compelling?
    1. Social issues and problems are compelling because it helps with learning opportunities with problem-solving skills. 
  2. Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum?
    1. Issues and problems that my future students may have to deal with, which would be compelling to them, would be home life. I could integrate the knowledge of different life problems that these students may be witnessing at home. 
  3. What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation?
    1. I am inspired by the learning opportunities that these examples obtain. I could incorporate examples into my own classroom by integrated real-life problems that they may experience throughout their lives. 

(Response)

1. Hi Carolyn! I agree that the openness of the examples given could be seen as inspiring, but also intimidating. 

Cortney
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:44 PM

(Initial Post)

A social issue or problem becomes compelling when it either directly affects you or when you become emotionally invested in the problem at hand. I anticipate my students to be most concerned with health and well-being, gender equality, reduced inequality, and climate action. All of these are very hot topics right now, and while we are working towards solutions, I believe these will still be issues for quite some years. I could easily incorporate all of these issues into my curriculum. Since I will be teaching English, it will not be hard for me to choose texts that cover the state standards (grammar, genre, theme, etc.) and social issues. The example projects gave me the concrete evidence that becoming socially innovative in the classroom is possible. I definitely foresee an inclusion of these issues in my future classroom. I will have to work out the details once I become an educator, but I can already see how I can cover some of these issues in my classroom. 

Cortney
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Hi, Alyson! I think home life is definitely an issue that may be compelling for our students. It will directly appeal to the students who are experiencing trouble in their home life, and it will appeal to other students because they know this issue affects their fellow peers. I think discussing home life and some of the issues children face  will foster more of an uplifting community among our students as they come to understand peers' struggles.

Katie
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Alyson, I love the idea of incorporating real-life scenarios into your classroom to help your students with their own issues they may be facing. While some subjects may be "sensitive", finding a way to allow your students to discuss personal issues is very important!

Taylor Carroll
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:57 PM

• What makes a social issue or problem compelling? When they affect a given person or group of people they seem to be more compelling. 
  • Which local issues and/or SDGs do you anticipate will be the most compelling for your students? Which of these issues could you most easily integrate into your curriculum? Problems that students may be concerned with such as being treated fairly by their peers. Things that involve them will be more compelling to them. 
  • What inspiration did you draw from the example projects developed by previous participants in this course? How might you apply some of those ideas as you design your own project and engage students in social innovation? I will incorporate real-life issues that my students may face at their given age group. This will allow for a discussion that will help them find solutions that they may need to use one day.

1. Something is  compelling because it has a negative effect and can be changed to a positive affect by problem solving. 

2. The SDG that could be the most compelling to my students is how they treat others and how others are treating them. I could integrate this into my classroom by teaching my students to have respect for one another. 

3.  I am inspired by teaching SDG's. This inspires me because I think that this is important for students to be taught. I can incorporate the SDG'S into my lessons. 

(Reply)

Hello, Alyson I like how you talked about incorporating the real life examples for your students. I think that it is important to help your students with what ever they are going through.  

Sandra Holshouser
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM

1. Someone that is different and others look at that person. That don't understand what they are going though.
  2. problems in their own life and not what's going on around them.
  3. I'm inspired at how each student can make a choice and make a differences.

Katie
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM

• I personally find social issues compelling when they affect me or something I am interested in or care about.
  • Students find issues compelling when they relate to them or are experiencing them. I could offer indirect ways to express feelings and discuss personal issues in my classroom.
  • I was inspired by the wide variety of subjects and the opportunities that so many projects offer and could be incorporated into the classroom.

Katie

I do agree with you when it came to social issues.

Paula Almond
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:16 PM

Makes Social Issue/Problem Compelling:

• the way it makes people feel or react - understanding the raw emotions 

Issues that might be most compelling for my students:

• I think the effects of COVID 19 - my students have started their educational journey in Kindergarten, wearing mask, with social distancing, temp. checks - they have made statements of wanting a time to be able to play with friends with no mask and have sleepovers. At 5 years olds, this issue will stay with them.
  • There are several aspects of this issue that can be integrated into our curriculum, I do so daily.

Inspiration from other participants:

• I'm inspired by my students having a voice

Kendall Mauldin
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:06 PM

I didn't even consider Covid-19 as a social issue! I think that is one that will really be able to help students relate. It has effected all students in one way or another and some larger than others but it's something they can all realte too. 

Paula Almond
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:02 PM

Hi Kendall,

COVID has affected all students, I realize daily with my Kindergarten class all they know is mask and social distant - that's so sad.

Kendall Mauldin
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM

1. Compelling problems are ones that effect a multitude of of people and have many levels of negative outcomes. 

2. I think climate change, and poverty are going to be the issues that effect my students the most. These issues can and likely somehow do effect every student in my classroom. I can incorporate them by having students write about how they will make change or by helping them to create a project that will help the community such as a fundraiser. 

3. One inspiration I found was the inspiration to teach students about a social issue and then use what they've learned to create art work.